· Social interaction in development of cognition
· Social learning precedes development
· MKO (More Knowledgeable Other)
· ZPD –distance between the actual development level as determined by the independent problem solving and level of potential development as determined through problem solving under MKO
· In ZPD provide scaffolding –masters task remove (fading)
· Social interaction leads to increased knowledge
Struggling students in a Math class are assigned a peer tutor. (MKO) The peer tutor helps their partner work through problems by providing hints and instruction. (Scaffolding) Struggling students will stop relying on MKO as they work through ZPD levels. The amount of help from the peer tutor can be gradually reduced until they are no longer needed or relied on. (fading) The struggling students have reached the MKO level and no longer are struggling.