Antithesis (антитеза, противопоставление)
This denotes a structure that stresses a sharp contrast in meaning between the parts within one sentence: Art is long, life is short; One man's meat is another man's poison; Some people are wise, some otherwise. (B. Shaw)
As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I
rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him; but as he was
ambitious, I slew him. There's tears for his love; joy for his fortune;
honour for his valour, and death for his ambition. (Shakespeare)
Youth is full ofpleasance,
Age is full of care;
Youth like summer morn,
Age like winter weather (ib.)
some wellspread examples:
- Many are called, but few are chosen.
- One small step for a man, one giant leap for all mankind.
- Man proposes, God disposes.
- Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing. - Goethe
- Speech is silver, but Silence is Gold.